Library preparation is a critical part of the next generation sequencing workflow; successful sequencing requires the generation of high quality libraries of sufficient yield and quality.As sequencing technologies improve and capacities expand, boundaries are also being pushed on sample preparation. High performance is required from ever-decreasing input quantities and from samples of lower quality. At the same time, the need is increasing for faster, automatable protocols that perform reliably and do not compromise the quality of the libraries produced.
To meet these growing challenges, the NEBNext suite of products continues to evolve to support next generation sequencing with sample preparation tools that streamline workflows, minimize inputs, and improve library yields and quality.
NEBNext reagents are available for sample preparation for Illumina® and Ion Torrent® sequencing platforms. Products are in user-friendly formats including kits and modules, with bulk or customized formats also available. Adaptors and primers are available separately, for maximized flexibility. Use of NEBNext products has been cited in over 1,000 publications.
- DNA Library Prep – NEBNext DNA library prep kits utilize fast, streamlined workflows and novel reagents that have been designed for performance. Sample prep kits are available for a broad range of input amounts, from pg to μg of DNA.
- FFPE DNA – NEBNext offers two options to addresses the challenges of FFPE DNA: repair of DNA damage caused by FFPE treatment and high-efficiency library prep.
- ChIP-Seq Library Prep – The low input amounts typical of ChIP-Seq library prep are compatible with NEBNext high-efficiency, streamlined workflows.
- RNA Library Prep – NEBNext products are available for directional and non-directional RNA library prep with novel reagents and streamlined workflows, designed for high quality library generation even from low nanogram quantities of RNA. High-performance rRNA depletion and mRNA enrichment products are also available.
- Target Enrichment – The novel NEBNext Direct® technology uses a unique approach to hybridization-based target enrichment, and generates high quality libraries in a single day. NEBNext library prep kits are compatible with standard target enrichment protocols.
- Microbiome DNA Enrichment – NEBNext products enable separation of microbiome DNA from contaminating host DNA, as well as DNA library preparation from low input amounts.
- Library Quantitation – The NEBNext qPCR-based Library Quant Kit enables accurate and reproducible quantitation of Illumina libraries, with a user-friendly workflow.
One or more of these products are covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc.
Illumina® is a registered trademark of Illumina, Inc. Ion Torrent™ is a trademark of Life Technologies, Inc.
- Protocol for use with NEBNext® Ultra™ II DNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina® (E7645, E7103)
- Protocol for NEBNext Ultra II DNA Library Prep with Sample Purification Beads (E7103)
- Protocol for use with NEBNext Poly(A) mRNA Magnetic Isolation Module (NEB #E7490)
- Protocol for use with FFPE RNA, NEBNext rRNA Depletion Kit (Human/Mouse/Rat) (NEB #E6310)
- Protocol for use with NEBNext rRNA Depletion Kit (Human/Mouse/Rat) (NEB #E6310) and NEBNext Ultra II Directional RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB #E7760, #E7765)
- Protocol for use with Purified mRNA or rRNA Depleted RNA and NEBNext Ultra II Directional RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB #E7760, #E7765)
- Protocol for use with rRNA Depleted FFPE RNA and NEBNext Ultra II Directional RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB #E7760, #E7765)
- Protocol for use with NEBNext® UltraTM II RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina® E7770 and rRNA Depletion Kit (Human/Mouse/Rat) (NEB #E6310)
- Protocol for use with NEBNext Poly(A) mRNA Magnetic Isolation Module (E7490) and NEBNext Ultra II RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (E7770, E7775)
- Protocol for use with FFPE RNA, NEBNext Ulta II RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina E7770 and rRNA Depletion Kit (Human/Mouse/Rat) (NEB #E6310)
- Protocols for use with Purified mRNA or rRNA Depleted RNA and NEBNext Ultra II RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina
- Protocol for use with rRNA Depleted FFPE RNA and NEBNext Ultra II RNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina (NEB # E7770, #E7775)
- Protocol for Directional RNA-seq Workflows and NEBNext Ultra II RNA First Strand Synthesis Module (E7771)
- Protocol for Non-directional RNA-seq Workflows and NEBNext Ultra II RNA First Strand Synthesis Module (E7771)
- Appendix A
- Appendix A for use with NEBNext Ultra II RNA First Strand Synthesis Module (E7771)
- Protocol for NEBNext Direct BRCA1/BRCA2 Panel (E6627)
- Protocol for a PCR reaction using NEBNext® Ultra™ II Q5® Master Mix (M0544)
- Guidelines for Running Samples on the Illumina MiSeq (E7000)
- Guidelines for Setting up PCR Reactions (E6627X only)
- Guidelines for Running Samples on the Illumina MiSeq (E6627)
- Protocol for use with NEBNext® Ultra™ II End Repair/dA-Tailing Module (E7546)
- Guidelines for Setting Up PCR Reactions (E7000X only)
- Setting up the PCR Reactions
- Index Pooling Guidelines - 96 Single Index Kit (E6609)
- Protocol for NEBNext Direct® Cancer HotSpot Panel (NEB #E7000)
Addressing Challenges in Microbiome DNA Analysis
Microbiome sample analysis is commonly confounded by the presence of host-cell DNA in the sample. The NEBNext® Microbiome DNA Enrichment Kit enables enrichment of non-CpG-methylated DNA from samples contaminated with eukaryotic-cell DNA.
Enzymatic Methyl-seq: The Next Generation of Methylome Analysis
Improving Enzymatic DNA Fragmentation for Next Generation Sequencing Library Construction
Among the available options for DNA fragmentation, enzymatic fragmentation is demonstrably gentler on the sample, yielding less damage at any scale. The new NEBNext® Ultra™ II FS DNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina® includes a single step for enzymatic fragmentation, end repair, and dA tailing.
The Quantitation Question: How does accurate library quantitation influence sequencing?
The determination of the number of sequencing-ready molecules present after library preparation is an important step in the next generation sequencing (NGS) workflow and has a strong influence on the success of both a sequencing run and a sequencing-based experiment.
- NEBNext for Ion Torrent™ Brochure
- NEBNext® for DNA Sample Prep
- The NEBNext Sample Preparation Workflow Poster
- A highly multiplexed target enrichment approach for sample identification and tracking using the NEBNext Direct Genotyping Solution
- A Robust, Streamlined, Enzyme-based DNA Library Preparation Method Amenable to a Wide Range of DNA Inputs (2019)
- A Single-tube, Low Input Protocol for Long Read Sequencing (2019)
- AGBT 2018 Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute poster: Thurston. S., et al. (2018). A Large Genome Centre Core Pipeline Refresh.
- Application of a Novel, Targeted Sequencing-Based Genotyping Approach for Cost Effective Marker Assessment in O. sativa (2019)
- Benefits of Illumina® Library Quantitation with NEBNext® Library Quant Kit (2015)
- EM-seq™ Enables Accurate and Precise Methylome Analysis of Challenging DNA Samples (2019)
- EM-seq™ enables accurate and robust methylation detection of cell free DNA and FFPE DNA sample types
- Enzymatic Methyl-seq: Next Generation Methylomes
- Enzymatic Methyl-seq: Next Generation Methylomes (2019)
- Examining Sources of Error in PCR by Single-Molecule Sequencing (2017)
- High Quality Automation Libraries Prepared from a Broad Range of DNA Input Amounts (2017)
- High-Throughput Screening of 2300 Genetic Markers in S.lycopersicum using the NEBNext Direct Multiplexed Genotyping Approach (2019)
- Improving Transcriptome Profiling for Single Cell and Low Input RNA (2019)
- Increasing sensitivity of transcriptome profiling in prokaryotic and eukaryotic samples by depleting abundant RNAs
- NEBNext Direct® Custom Ready Panels Overcome Challenges Associated with Targeted Re-sequencing (2019)
- NEBNext® Ultra™ II FS DNA: A Robust Enzyme-based DNA Library Preparation Method Compatible with Plant Samples
- NEBNext® Ultra™II FS DNA: A Robust Enzyme-based DNA Library Preparation Method Compatible with Plant and Animal Samples (2019)
- Uncovering the Cannabis sativa Methylome Through Enzymatic Methyl-seq (2019)
- Excellent performance – NEBNext continues to raise the bar on construction of high quality libraries from ever-decreasing input quantities, with a focus on high yields, high library diversity and minimized bias.
- Quality you can rely on – In addition to the extensive QCs performed on individual kit components, all NEBNext kits are functionally validated by preparation of a library, followed by sequencing. Use of NEBNext products has been cited in over 1,000 publications.
- Ease of use – NEBNext kits employ streamlined workflows, with minimized hands-on times and simple to follow protocols.
- Convenient product formats –
- NEBNext Kits include reagents for the entire library preparation workflow.
- Modules provide reagents for individual steps in a workflow and can be combined to cover an entire library prep workflow, or can be used in conjunction with other reagents to enable a customized workflow for your specific needs.
- Adaptors and primers are supplied separately from the NEBNext kits (as NEBNext Oligos modules), allowing for increased flexibility.
- SPRIselect® beads are provided as an optional component of our latest NEBNext Ultra™ II DNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina.
- Wide range of sample types and applications – NEBNext products are available for DNA, RNA, Small RNA, ChIP DNA, FFPE DNA and Microbiome DNA, for steps throughout the sample preparation workflow, from upstream enrichment to final library quantitation.
- Value pricing
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
These 12 quick tips for NGS library preparation are a great refresher if you're a seasoned pro, or a great introduction if you're a beginner.
This video walks you through DNA Library Preparation using the NEBNext Ultra II DNA Library Prep Kit. The video also includes tips for optimization as well as safe stopping points.
Get a quick overview of NGS library preparation from an NEB scientist.